“Timing is everything, in education as in many other fields. It’s not enough to teach well. You have to teach well to kids who are ready to learn, kids who are developmentally ‘ripe’ for learning.”
- Boys Adrift by Leonard Sax

Monday, January 18, 2010

2009 Reading List

Wow, I sure haven't blogged in a while. I thought I'd try to get back in the swing of things and post my 2009 reading list. I didn't do much reading the last few months. None at all in December! That's pretty crazy. I guess it was a busy holiday season, plus I'm pregnant and October through December were my rougher months of pregnancy so I didn't do much reading. Things are going better now, and I'm due in June so we are really excited!

2009 Reading List (listed in the month the book was finished)
~ Family Reading
* With Kyle

January
Sunday’s at Tiffany’s – James Patterson
A Christmas Carol – Charles Dickens
A Promise of Forever – Anita Stansfield
~New Testament Stories
The Loser’s Guide to Life and Love – A.E. Cannon
Big Ben is Back – Anya Bateman
Journey Home – Jennie Hansen
~ Book of Mormon Stories
Eve’s Daughter’s – Lynn Austin
The Scarlet Letter – Nathaniel Hawthorne

February
The Girl Who Could Fly – Victoria Forester
*The New Testament – King James Version
What the Doctor Ordered – Sierra St. James

March
An Unexpected Love – Michelle Ashman Bell
Redemption Road – Toni Sorenson Brown
~The Trumpet of the Swan – E.B. White
Winter Fire – Rachel Ann Nunes
Counting Stars – Michele Paige Holmes
~Book of Mormon Stories
Where Heaven Begins – Rosanne Bittner

April
No Longer Strangers – Rachel Ann Nunes
Chasing Yesterday – Rachel Ann Nunes
~Doctrine and Covenants Stories
Rules of Engagement – Stephanie Fowers
Hope – Lori Copeland
Meet Your Match – Stephanie Fowers

May
Ruth – Lori Copeland
Taking Chances – Shannon Guymon
Justifiable Means – Shannon Guymon
The Plan – David Steenhoek
The Icing on the Cake – Elodia Strain
Previously Engaged – Elodia Strain
To Have or to Hold – Josi S. Kilpack
~Old Testament Stories

June
Austenland – Shannon Hale
~New Testament Stories
A Crooked Kind of Perfect – Linda Urban
Makeover – Shannon Guymon
*Doctrine and Covenants
Spare Change – Aubrey Mace
Star Shining Brightly – Marcia Mickelson
Unsung Lullaby – Josi s. Kilpack
Enthusiasm – Polly Shulman
*Pearl of Great Price
~The Wind in the Willows – Kenneth Grahame


July
The Red Badge of Courage – Stephen Crane
Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow – Jessica Day George
~Book of Mormon Stories

August
The China Study – T. Colin Campbell and Thomas M. Campbell

How to Stuff a Wild Zucchini – Heather Horrocks
Persuasion – Jane Austen

September
The Heart of a Stranger – Pamela Griffin
Christmas Legacy – Kathleen Fuller
Boys Adrift – Leonard Sax
~Little House in the Big Woods – Laura Ingalls Wilder

Church in the Wildwood – Dooly, Dykes, Griffin and Mayne
~Old Testament Stories

October
Bound with Love – Croston, Hake, Hake, and Livingston
Saving Madeline – Rachel Ann Nunes
The Lost Symbol – Dan Brown
~New Testament Stories
3 Willows – Ann Brashares

November
*New Moon - Stephenie Meyer

Eyes Like Mine – Julie Wright

The books in bold are the "good" books I read - classics, educational and church books. They are the kind of books I wish I read all the time. I enjoy reading chick lit, and LDS fiction stuff, so sometimes I get in a phase where I read a bunch of that kind of stuff and then I get sick of it and want to read something more meaningful. This year I am hoping to finally finish the
5 Pillar Reading List, and to do a lot more educational type reading. I just need to find the stuff that I'm really interested in and then it will be easy to read. I'll try to do better with blogging, not that anyone really reads this blog anyway, but it will help me keep on top of homeschooling and reading. :)

No comments: