“Timing is everything, in education as in many other fields. It’s not enough to teach well. You have to teach well to kids who are ready to learn, kids who are developmentally ‘ripe’ for learning.”
- Boys Adrift by Leonard Sax

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Our Favorite Tofu Dish

Over the past couple of years my family has transitioned into being mostly vegan.  It started with my husband giving up meat and later other animal products, and I was pretty slow to follow.  It took me a while to have any interest in changing my diet, but I read The China Study last year and that pretty much sold me on the health benefits of a vegan diet - which is the main reason we have chosen to eat this way.  A lot of people go vegan for ethical reasons, but for us it's more about good health. Although the more books I read and the more I learn about the treatment of animals, the more I feel bad for them and meat appeals to me even less.  I try to keep animal products out of our home, but when we eat out or eat at our parents (which only happens about once a month) I let the boys eat whatever they want and I usually end up having at least a little cheese if not some meat.  I'm definitely not a perfect vegan, but I'm working on it!  My husband is much better at staying on the diet all the time.

Anyway, I'm not very good at coming up with my own recipes, but over the last two years I've found enough vegan recipes online and in cook books to have a good variety.  Last night I made one of our favorite tofu dishes: Thai Curry Tofu.  It's a recipe I found on All Recipes, and it's easy to adapt to vegan because the only thing you have to substitute is the butter!  We like to serve it over rice.  I like the tofu cooked this way.  If you fry it long enough it gets a nice crispy outside, and tastes great.  So this is one of the more common recipes I use tofu in.

I'm sometimes amazed at all the changes we have made compared to when we were first married.  I never dreamed I would become a vegan, much less a homeschooler, but we have transitioned into both things slowly and are really happy with the life we have!

1 comment:

Cherie said...

What a fun recipe! I can't saw that I'm a big fan of tofu... it's a texture thing... but I'm thinking we'll have to try this! Please add more recipes that you've liked, that would be fun!

I'm right there with you with the changes! I look at myself now and where I was when Nathan and I were first married and I am amazed at how much has changed. Makes me excited for the future! I think I'm even more reminded of Heavenly Father and His plan as I consider the wonderful experiences that have brought on these "little changes" that have made such a HUGE impact on our family. It's great to know wonderful people that are traveling a similar road. I hope all is well with you!