“Timing is everything, in education as in many other fields. It’s not enough to teach well. You have to teach well to kids who are ready to learn, kids who are developmentally ‘ripe’ for learning.”
- Boys Adrift by Leonard Sax

Thursday, March 11, 2010

BTT: Illustrious

How do you feel about illustrations in your books? Graphs? Photos? Sketches?


I actually really enjoy illustrations, especially when I read classic fiction.  I don't want pictures on every page, but I like it when there's about one per chapter.  I have a hard time visualizing things, so I often can't picture a setting or a person based off of the description that the author gives.  That's why I appreciate it when there are illustrations that give me a better idea of what's going on, or what something looks like.  I recently read The Hobbit for the first time and I really enjoyed the illustrations that showed what some of the different characters looked like.  The map at the beginning was also very helpful in understanding where they were traveling. 

Illustrations are also great when I'm reading to my kids.  We usually read a classic youth fiction at night as a family.  Most of these books are a bit ahead of our kids understanding, but they learn great things from these books!  I like to have illustrations to show them that help them understand what an animal or place looks like, and give them a better understanding of what's going on.

While we are on the subject, I also love pictures in cookbooks!  I usually won't try cooking something unless I can see a picture of what it's supposed to look like. :)

No comments: