“Timing is everything, in education as in many other fields. It’s not enough to teach well. You have to teach well to kids who are ready to learn, kids who are developmentally ‘ripe’ for learning.”
- Boys Adrift by Leonard Sax

Friday, June 12, 2009

BTT: Niche

There are certain types of books that I more or less assume all readers read. (Novels, for example.)

But then there are books that only YOU read. Instructional manuals for fly-fishing. How-to books for spinning yarn. How to cook the perfect souffle. Rebuilding car engines in three easy steps. Dog training for dummies. Rewiring your house without electrocuting yourself. Tips on how to build a NASCAR course in your backyard. Stuff like that.

What niche books do YOU read?

The obvious answer is books about homeschooling and education. This is something I was never really interested in, but after I read A Thomas Jefferson Education my whole life pretty much changed.

I would highly recommend reading this book, even if you aren't interested in homeschooling. It is a great teaching method and an eye-opening look at education, and can be applied by parents and teachers.




Another book about education that really opened my eyes to the reality of public schooling is Dumbing us Down by John Taylor Gatto. He is a public school teacher, and he has a very realistic look at education.





Another niche of books that I've been reading recently is books about organic and natural living.

Organic Living in 10 Simple Lessons was a good starting book for me to read, and helped me to get a picture of what Organic Living is really all about.




Home Enlightenment is a great book that has tons of recipes and solutions of how to take care of your home and yourself naturally and without toxins. I started making my own cleaners a few months ago, and all of my recipes came from this book. I haven't finished reading the whole thing yet, but it's great!



No comments: