“Timing is everything, in education as in many other fields. It’s not enough to teach well. You have to teach well to kids who are ready to learn, kids who are developmentally ‘ripe’ for learning.”
- Boys Adrift by Leonard Sax

Monday, March 16, 2009

Home School Hours

So I haven't posted in a couple of weeks. I got caught up on my BTT posts though, so it looks like I wasn't as much as a slacker. ;) I was sick for a while, at first I thought it was the flu, but then it turned out to be strep throat - which was crazy since my throat hardly hurt the first couple of days. Anyway, I was just grateful to feel better and I am amazed that no one else in my family got it! It was a few days before I got any medication and wasn't contagious anymore.

We've also been busy lately. My oldest, Gage, is going to turn 5 years old this week! That just seems crazy to me, the time sure has flown. We had family visit on the weekend and we had a party to celebrate. With this birthday comes the time for Gage to become an "official homeschooler". I guess I need to turn in an affidavit to the school, what exactly is it supposed to say? I don't really know...if anyone else does, please enlighten me! I looked up what I need to do for our local school district. I found the requirements interesting:

"Each minor who attends home school shall receive instruction:
  • In the subjects the State Board of Education required to be taught in public schools, the State Core Curriculum.
  • For the same length of time as required in public schools, which is 180 days or 990 hours (approximately 51/2 hours per day)."

I've heard that Utah is pretty lenient compared to other states, and I suppose it is. Those are really the only two requirements they had. I just find the length of time thing interesting. My son is going to be getting one on one instruction - or at the most it will be one on two instruction if my one year old is involved. He will obviously be able to learn things a lot quicker than the kids in our local kindergarten who, according to the brochure I got in the mail, will have a teacher/student ratio of 1/23. Which I guess is supposed to be considered a good class size, but you can't really beat 1/1, and having your individual educational needs met all of the time. :) I've heard a lot of people say that almost everything you do can count as "school" - cooking, cleaning, playing, reading etc. So I'm sure I can meet the time requirements, but I just think it's odd that they require that much time. Especially since a lot of kindergarten time is spent just managing the crowd.

Edited to add: I actually found out I don't have to submit an affidavit until next year - when he's six. I guess Kindergarten isn't actually required. :)

1 comment:

Shimmy Mom said...

In Utah, you just have to go into your district office and fill out the exemption form. (It's one page)

Good luck!