“Timing is everything, in education as in many other fields. It’s not enough to teach well. You have to teach well to kids who are ready to learn, kids who are developmentally ‘ripe’ for learning.”
- Boys Adrift by Leonard Sax

Thursday, November 13, 2008

BTT: Why do you buy, or borrow?

The gist of today's BTT question is why you buy or borrow books...

For the most part I am a borrower. I prefer the library because I only want to read most books once. I do a lot of reading, but not all of it is worth a second read. So what is the point in buying a book if I don't know that I will like it?

I do buy books that are my favorites. If I have already read it and I know I want to read it again, then it is worth owning. I also am getting into the habit of buying classics whenever I see them at thrift stores. The basis of our homeschooling method is reading classics, so I'm trying to build up our inventory. It's also important to me that we have a lot of books in our home to inspire our children and show them what is most important.

2 comments:

SmilingSally said...

I have purchased classics too. I forgot that in my answer:
http://bookcritiques.blogspot.com/2008/11/booking-through-thursday.html

Dianna said...

I'm with you there! I always buy second-hand classics. Also my favorites. Other stuff can come from the library.