“Timing is everything, in education as in many other fields. It’s not enough to teach well. You have to teach well to kids who are ready to learn, kids who are developmentally ‘ripe’ for learning.”
- Boys Adrift by Leonard Sax

Thursday, November 13, 2008

BTT: Book Survey

This is an older question from BTT, but I thought it would be fun to do.

What was the last book you bought?
I just bought Eragon and Eldest from the used book rack at the library. I've heard a lot of people say that they are good books. I've never read them, but it was only $2. :)

Name a book you have read MORE than once
Well, The Book of Mormon is probably the book I have read the most times in my life. Besides that I would say Love Comes Softly. I could probably read that one at least once a year.

Has a book ever fundamentally changed the way you see life? If yes, what was it?
I would say The Book of Mormon, but I grew up reading and learning from it, so it's never really changed my life, but it has definitely shaped the way my life is. A Thomas Jefferson Education changed our whole view on education and the environment we want in our home.

How do you choose a book? eg. by cover design and summary, recommendations or reviews
I usually will read a book based on recommendations, or reviews. I don't like to get involved in a book only to find out it is inappropriate, so I like to hear other peoples recommendations. I will also look at the summary to see if it is interesting.

Do you prefer Fiction or Non-Fiction?
Definitely fiction, but I do enjoy a good non-fiction every now and then.

What’s more important in a novel - beautiful writing or a gripping plot?
Probably a good plot. Most authors have decent writing - otherwise they wouldn't be published. There have been some authors whose tone I just can't really stand, but I will still finish the book if I'm interested in the characters and plot.

Most loved/memorable character (character/book)
I love Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables. She's such a fun character, with a great heart. Sure, she has some mishaps now and then, but her intentions always seem to be good.

Which book or books can be found on your nightstand at the moment?
Jane Eyre

What was the last book you’ve read, and when was it?
Yesterday I read "First Love and Forever" by Anita Stansfield.

Have you ever given up on a book half way in?
I have. Usually because of bad language. I have no desire to read a bunch of swear words. Also, if the writing in a book isn't intriguing to me, I will skip through the book and get the basic plot and read the important parts, but I won't waste my time reading the whole thing.

No comments: