“Timing is everything, in education as in many other fields. It’s not enough to teach well. You have to teach well to kids who are ready to learn, kids who are developmentally ‘ripe’ for learning.”
- Boys Adrift by Leonard Sax

Monday, January 24, 2011

2010 Reading List

Why do I have this blog?  I obviously never write anything on it, and obviously nobody reads it - because there is nothing to read. :)  I think my trouble is that I have made a lot of "unique" choices for my family, and I am very happy with those choices, but I don't want other people to think that I am trying to push my choices onto them.  I am a very firm believer that we are all capable of making our own choices, and that the same choice isn't right for everyone.  I am very happy to not own a TV, to be homeschooling, to rarely eat meat, to use cloth diapers, to be a Mormon, etc. but a lot of people think we are crazy for at least one if not all of those weird things we do.  Anyway, I respect everyone else's choices and I need to just write about what I feel and not worry about offending anybody.  I'm not forcing anyone to read this blog, so I should stop worrying about talking about my weird life, right?

So, I had this strange idea that I would have no time to read after I had the baby in June, but instead I started reading SO much more.  With my first two babies I mostly watched TV while I nursed, but that wasn't an option anymore, so this time I did TONS of reading.  Most of it mindless, fun reading, but that's what you need after you have a baby and are barely functioning.  I discovered Meg Cabot, and read almost all of her books.  She has a lot, so there are still a few I haven't read - mostly because I'm too lazy to put them on hold at the library.  She's a great writer though.  I also loved The Hunger Games trilogy.  Before the baby was born I read Birthing From Within and HypnoBirthing - both great books that I highly recommend if you are having a baby.  So here's my reading list for the year, the bold books are ones that are classics or educational.

2010 Reading List (listed in the month the book was finished)
~ Family Reading
* With Kyle

January
*The New Testament (King James Version)
The Hobbit – J.R.R Tolkein

February
The Hunger Games – Suzanne Collins
The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening – L.J. Smith

March
*The 5,000 Year Leap – Cleon Skouson
The Vampire Diaries: The Struggle – L.J. Smith
Divinely Designed – Rachael Renee Anderson

April
HypnoBirthing – Marie F. Mongan
Catching Fire – Suzanne Collins
Being Sixteen – Allyson Braithwaite Condie
The Vampire Diaries: The Fury – L.J. Smith
The Vampire Diaries: Dark Reunion – L.J. Smith

May
~Little Britches – Ralph Moody

June
Birthing From Within – Pam England and Rob Horowitz
*Doctrine and Covenants
The Sunflower – Richard Paul Evans
The Looking Glass – Richard Paul Evans
Once Upon a Marigold – Jean Ferris
My Ridiculous, Romantic Obsessions – Becca Wilhite
The One O’clock Chop – Ralph Fletcher
The Luckiest Girl – Beverly Cleary

July
*Eclipse – Stephenie Meyer
Jack and Jill – Louisa Mae Alcott
~Stuart Little – E.B. White
The Notebook – Nicholas Sparks
Cheaper by the Dozen – Frank B Gilbreth Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey
Thwonk – Joan Bauer
Fifteen – Beverly Cleary
Truth or Dairy – Catherine Clark

August
Sister of the Bride – Beverly Cleary
Wurst Case Scenario – Catherine Clark
When You Wish – Kristin Harmel
The Princess Diaries – Meg Cabot
Princess in the Spotlight – Meg Cabot
Princess in Love – Meg Cabot
Princess in Waiting – Meg Cabot
Valentine Princess – Meg Cabot
Princess in Pink – Meg Cabot
Princess in Training – Meg Cabot
Princess Present – Meg Cabot
Party Princess – Meg Cabot

September
Sweet Sixteen Princess – Meg Cabot
Princess on the Brink – Meg Cabot
Project Princess – Meg Cabot
A Modest Proposal – Michele Ashman Bell
The Mediator: Shadowland – Meg Cabot
The Mediator: Ninth Key – Meg Cabot
Princess Mia – Meg Cabot
*Breaking Dawn – Stephenie Meyer
Forever Princess – Meg Cabot
Hometown Girl – Michele Ashman Bell
Teen Idol – Meg Cabot
The Mediator: Reunion – Meg Cabot
All-American Girl – Meg Cabot
The Mediator: Darkest Hour – Meg Cabot
The Mediator: Haunted – Meg Cabot

October
The Mediator: Twilight – Meg Cabot
Ready or Not – Meg Cabot
Airhead – Meg Cabot
Being Nikki – Meg Cabot
Runaway – Meg Cabot
Bright Blue Miracle – Becca Wilhite
Ella Enchanted – Gail Carson Levine
Jinx – Meg Cabot
How to Be Popular – Meg Cabot

November
Girl in Development – Jordan Rotter
When Lightning Strikes – Meg Cabot
Mockingjay – Suzanne Collins
Pants on Fire – Meg Cabot
Hot Lunch – Alex Bradley
Megan Meade’s Guide to the McGowan Boys – Kate Brian

December
Fake Boyfriend – Kate Brian
Along for the Ride – Sarah Dessen
The Princess and the Pauper – Kate Brian
Confessions of a Not-It Girl – Melissa Kantor
Sweet 16 – Kate Brian
The Boy Next Door – Meg Cabot
Boy Meets Girl – Meg Cabot
~ A Christmas Carol – Charles Dickens

2 comments:

Tristen Jones said...

I'm going to have to read some of these suggestions! I love reading, though I don't get much time for it. It is a fun place to take my mind and imagination, after a long day. :)

Cherie said...

Yay! Glad you were able to make the switch to cloth diapers! :-). I hope 2011 finds you reading lots and lots as well. Thanks for writing! It's fun to see what you're up to!