“Timing is everything, in education as in many other fields. It’s not enough to teach well. You have to teach well to kids who are ready to learn, kids who are developmentally ‘ripe’ for learning.”
- Boys Adrift by Leonard Sax

Thursday, July 9, 2009

BTT: Waiting to Read

Give me the list or take a picture of all the books you have stacked on your bedside table, hidden under the bed or standing in your shelf – the books you have not read, but keep meaning to.

Oh man, can I just put up a picture of my whole bookcase?! lol. In the past year or so I have been buying almost every classic book I can find at the library or the thrift store, so I have a couple of shelves full of books that I need to read. It takes me a lot longer to read classics. I can read a contemporary book in a day or two, but classics take me a while. First of all, some of them are boring so I can only stand to read a chapter each day. Also, I read them slower and I often reread passages trying to understand the deeper meaning. So they take me a while. I usually only read one classic a month, if I'm lucky, but I promise I'm working on all those books that are waiting on the shelf.

There are also a couple of books that I am half-way through and I just need to finish them so I can move on. My husband and I started reading Bleak House many months ago. I would read to him while he painted. He hasn't been painting much lately, so we haven't been reading. We are only half-way through, but it's a huge book so half is quite a lot of pages. I want to finish it so I can say we read it, but it's also not that interesting at the moment so we aren't rushing to finish it. I also started Uncle Tom's Cabin for a book club a few months ago, and I still haven't finished it. I do think it is an interesting book, there are tons of insightful things in it and I have really enjoyed it so far, but it just seems like I always have something else to read. I really need to finish it though so that it will stop weighing on my mind. :)

No comments: